Did you know that Queen Elizabeth II was the first government head to use email? In 1976 she sent an email during a visit to the Radar Establishment in Malvern, England. The username the institute gave her was HME2 which stood for “Her Majesty Elizabeth II” Today over 45 years later the Queen is still using email to communicate.
Another infamous milestone in email history happened only two years later in 1978 when the first spam email was sent. Gary Thurek launched hundreds of unsolicited emails marketing his new product, he claimed it earned him $13 million in sales. He may have sent the first spam email but he also sent in motion the need for certain emails to be flagged by spam filters. These filters do a great job of filtering out important emails versus sales pitches and other spam but they can also block good emails from getting to you.
One way to combat this is to add the email addresses of people and companies you trust to a contact list. You can do that easily with this helpful cheat sheet from TitleMax. This guide shows the steps for adding contacts on many popular email providers. Here are four example steps from the guide:
Adding Google Contacts
- Step one: Click the “Create Contact” button on the left and select “Create a Contact.”
- Step two: Add the contact’s name, email address, and other details and then click “Save.”
Adding Microsoft Outlook Contacts (Desktop)
- Step one: From your Outlook inbox, click the “People” icon at the bottom on the left.
- Step two: Click the “New Contact” button at the top.
- Step three: Add the contact’s name, email address, and other details and then click “Save & Close” at the top.
Adding Microsoft Outlook Contacts (Browser Version)
- Step one: From your Outlook inbox, click the menu button in the upper left-hand corner and select “People.”
- Step two: Click the “Add a Contact” button.
- Step three: Add your contact’s name, then click the “Add more” button and select “Email Address.”
- Step four: Add the contact’s email address and click “Create.”
Adding Yahoo Mail Contacts
- Step one: From your Yahoo Mail inbox, click the “Contacts” icon.
- Step two: From the “All” tab, click “Create a new contact.”
- Step three: Add the contact’s name, email address, and other details and then click “Save.”