One key step to starting a business is choosing the perfect business name. There are plenty of ways to come up with a name for your business. You can survey friends and family, have brainstorming sessions with your business partner, or even use a business name generator. Business name generators are great tools to help you come up with unique and memorable names for your new business.
Things to keep in mind when choosing a business name
Other things to keep in mind, when coming up with the perfect name for your business, is finding something that is the right balance of functionality and appeal. When creating a name for your business it’s also important to ensure that it’s easy to say, spell and remember – keep it short, with two or three syllables at most. Your business name is your organization’s public identity, so it’s worth taking the time to get it right.
And, during your brainstorming session ask yourself these questions:
- Who is the main audience for your business products and services, and what sort of name would appeal to them?
- How will your customers find you — will it mainly be online, through advertising, passing on the street, or something else?
- Do you want a name that functionally describes what your business does or something a little more abstract?
- What elements do you really want to include in your business name?
- What do you want the name to accomplish?
As you can see there is a lot to consider when creating a name for your business, but once you’ve come up with the perfect business name, you must double check that no other business in your state is operating under the same name. Our infographic will walk you through how to search all 50 states to see if your business name is available.
Further reading: How Long Will It Take to Start Your Business?