The selfie craze
Selfies have quickly become one of the most popular forms of photography in the world. People of all ages and from all walks of life are taking selfies, and for a variety of reasons. Some people take selfies to capture a moment or a happy memory, while others take selfies as part of a self-promotion strategy.
Whatever the reason, there are some basic do’s and don’ts when it comes to taking selfies. Here are a few tips:
The Do’s: What to do when taking a selfie
- Make sure you have enough light. If you’re taking a selfie indoors, make sure there is plenty of light shining on your face. If you’re outside, find a spot that is well lit.
- Use natural light whenever possible. Taking selfies in a poorly lit room can make you look washed out or even ghost-like.
- Don’t light up your phone. A bright screen is not flattering to the face, so keep your smartphone at a comfortable viewing level and use it sparingly.
- Don’t take selfies when you are tired. When you are tired and your focus is off, it’s hard to make good photos.
- Make sure your camera is at eye level. This will make you look more confident and natural in the photo.
- Find a good background.
- Use props to add interest to your photo. For example, hold a flower, use a fun background, or wear sunglasses or a hat.
- Strike a pose that flatters you.
- Pose with friends or family. Group selfies are always fun.
- Smile! A genuine smile looks better in photos than a forced smile or a “duck face”.
- Keep your photos simple and sweet.
Other important Selfie tricks
Crop and zoom; annoying photobomber? No problem. Use your toolbox to get rid of anything you don’t want in your photo. Also utilize the right filters. When used correctly, filters are a selfie’s best friend.
The Don’ts: What not to do when taking a selfie
There’s no doubt about it, selfies are all the rage. But with great power comes great responsibility, and when it comes to taking selfies, there are some definite don’ts you need to keep in mind. Here are the don’ts of taking selfies:
- Don’t take a selfie while driving. Even if you think you can safely take a selfie while driving, you can never be too sure. Not only is it dangerous for yourself, but it’s also dangerous for other drivers on the road.
- Don’t take a selfie with a gun. Guns can be incredibly dangerous, and if you accidentally shoot yourself while taking a selfie, you could end up seriously injured or worse.
- Don’t take a selfie in a compromising or risky position, in front of an open window, at the beach or in water.
- Don’t take a selfie while you’re riding on a train, bus, or car.
Selfies that reveal too much
Selfies are a great way to capture and share memories with friends and family, but there are some selfie poses that can reveal too much. For example, the duck face selfie is popular among teenage girls, but it can make you look like you’re trying too hard. Another no-no is the bathroom mirror selfie – unless you want people to see your unflattering bathroom lighting.
Selfies have become a common occurrence in today’s society. People of all ages and backgrounds are taking selfies and posting them on social media. While selfies can be fun and provide a way to express yourself, there are some things you should keep in mind when taking them.
Original infographic via izzigadgets.com in 2013, content updated in february 2022.
5 thoughts on “Selfie Poses – The Do’s and Don’ts of the Selfie (Infographic)”
one million a day?? wow!
Don’ take them often but I do know that angles can do wonders for a selfie.
Fun infographic with cute illustrations!
We have selfie-taking down to a science! I loved the “reasons why adults take selfies”. I never thought about that!
I’m someone that’s guilty of one too many selfies so thanks for the tips! I also enjoyed looking at the stats (:
I’m in the 65 & over category. Don’t take them often.